Monday, November 5, 2012

Masks

Sometimes life leaves me bumfuzzled.  Yes, bumfuzzled is a word, and I did just use it in a sentence.  Quite honestly, I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable.  But back to the point.  There have been many points in my life where I've been left feeling confused, dumbfounded, or just flat out bumfuzzled. Life is hard, and sometimes doesn't make sense. 

I have found that in my daily life, I spend a great deal of time trying to convince everyone around me that life is good, I don't have problems, and the last thing I want to do is to tell anyone about them.  I build walls around me that I think will protect me.  If I convince everyone I'm okay, then maybe I really am okay.  But I don't have to tell you that the mindset I've just described to you is as far from the truth as it could be.  Have you been there?

A mask is something that serves to conceal or disguise.  I am confessing to all of you today that I often wear one.  (No, I don't mean a Halloween mask, smarty pants!).  But why do I put on this mask every day?  I can't say I have a good reason.  Maybe I've convinced myself that it's just easier that way.  Or maybe I'm afraid what people would think if all of the skeletons in my closet were revealed.  Whatever the reason, it's time to take off the mask.  I truly believe that if we can just retrain ourselves to do that, and to open up to each other, we can truly connect with others and build relationships. 

It's time to take this mask off!  Let's do this.  Are you ready?  I hope you are sitting down.  Because what I am about to tell you will come as a shock.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen...................................................


I AM BALD! 

I told you to sit down!!!! 

Once you've recovered from the shock, please read on.


But seriously, in a world where so many are struggling and hurting every day, why can't we break down the walls, tear off the masks, and let others see the real us?  So many times I have had that opportunity, and so many times I have chosen the mask.  But those times that I've been real?  Those are some of the most rewarding conversations and moments in my life.  Some of my biggest struggles in life were made a little more bearable simply by talking about them, and realizing that I'm not the only one who has gone through them.  When we're in the midst of struggle, our tendency is to think we're the only ones going through it.  But once we open up, we find that we're more like everyone else than we realized. 

What mask are you wearing that needs to be taken off and thrown away?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment