Thursday, December 13, 2012

Where's The Elevator?!?

32 floors.  532 steps. Why would anyone want to walk, run, crawl or climb 32 floors?

Yes, folks, I've lost my marbles.  I decided to register for the 2013 Fight For Air Climb at the Springfield Hilton.  A few friends I know have done this in the past, and I've always wanted to try it.  Plus, a good portion of the donations go toward the American Lung Associations fight for air.  (If you want to donate, check out my personal page at http://action.lung.org/site/TR/Climb/ALAUM_Upper_Midwest?px=5076562&pg=personal&fr_id=6440).

Some of the people I've talked to about this assume it will be easy for me.  Those people are remembering that I have been an avid runner and have run 5 marathons.  But it's apples and oranges.  Running a road race and stair climbing are two completely different animals.  Even when I was in peak condition during training for a marathon, climbing stairs was still difficult.  Not to mention the fact that my running days have been all but over for the past couple of years, with the exception of an occasional 2-3 mile run.  I miss it.  So when I saw this race pop up on someone's Facebook page a couple of weeks ago, I got the itch.  Yesterday I signed up.  So there's no turning back now.

I have no idea what to expect, or what I'm about to put my body through.  But I look forward to learning more about this form of exercise.  I walk up the stairs at work (6 floors) every day, so I guess I'm about 1/5 of the way into shape.  Seems like I have a LONG way to go.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment