Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pukka

Have you ever heard of the word 'pukka'?  I hadn't, and then I was reading an article today and came across it.  It intrigued me.  It's meaning is very simple: genuine or authentic.  Part of my goal in writing this blog is to connect with you, the reader.  Anyone who knows me knows that it is my belief that too many of us, self included, are not pukka.  We aren't authentic.  Rather, we spend our days trying to convince everyone that we don't have struggles or problems.  For instance, I'm sure many of you didn't realize that I am folically challenged.  I know - it's a shocker.  I will give you a chance to compose yourself before I continue.  

Now that you've had the chance to calm down, let's move onward and forward.  

It is our desire to be accepted.  Some studies show that living in a group helped early humans survive harsh environments.  Often people dress a certain way or act a certain way because of this desire to fit in.  Sometimes it's done without the person even realizing they are doing it.  

I have a strong desire to connect with people.  I am a firm believer that relationships are one of the most important things in our daily lives.   In the spirit of being pukka, I should let you know that one of my greatest struggles in life has been feeling like I don't fit in - from when I was younger up to the present.  As I get older and 'wiser', I find it a bit easier to not get so caught up in worrying about it.  But I would be lying if I told you that it doesn't still cross my mind.  Because of this, I think sometimes that I am more aware of others who may have the same struggle.  I try to go out of my way to connect with those people.  Sometimes just a hello, a smile, or just a simple conversation can make a huge difference in someone's life.  It seems like whenever this feeling comes on the strongest in my own life, God puts someone directly in my path to remind me that it just isn't true.  I am so thankful for that.   

Have you ever felt like you don't fit in?  Do you know someone who struggles with this?  Be intentional about reaching out to them.  It may make more of a difference than you will ever know.  

I'd love to hear your stories and comments on this.  Feel free to comment on my blog, contact me via email (link on my blogger profile page), my Facebook page or message me on Facebook.       

Thanks for reading!  




No comments:

Post a Comment