Thursday, June 6, 2013

It's The Little Things

Our night last night went a little something like this.  I drove up the driveway and into the garage, stopping for a second to look at some new chalk art on the driveway.  I entered the house with a grin on my face, only to find it empty and quiet.  This was quite a strange contrast from most nights when I get home from work.  I heard voices coming from the back yard and found Leigh and Will sitting on the swing set, talking about the robin's nest in the swing set.  It has gone from one egg to four eggs in 3 days.  Will seems pretty excited about the prospect of having some baby birds living in his swing set.  As soon as I stepped outside Will yelled at the top of his lungs "Four eggs!!!".  We played in the back yard for awhile, going up and down the swing set, the slide, into the clubhouse, and playing tag - Will loves to run up to us and go "Tag, you're it!"
Eventually we went inside and ate dinner.  

After we finished eating, I had promised Will we would go back out for a bit.  So, back outside we went.  Our neighbors' kids were out, too.  They have kids who are not too much older or younger than Will, and he loves playing with them.  They all have a pretty good time together.  We were playing ball, riding various ride-on toys, drawing on the driveway with chalk, and just having a good time.  The neighbors' daughter drew chalk outlines of us on our driveway, and then did our feet as well.  Everybody was having a good time.  

I'm not trying to bore you with the details of our evening last night.  Though they were far from boring for me.  I love every minute of it.  Kids are the future, and we need to put our gadgets down, turn off the tv's, and get outside and play with them!  I find it impossible to believe, but according to other more seasoned parents, there is going to come a day when Will may not want to hang out with me.  (I know, right?!?!  Can you believe that?!?)  Or at least not nearly as much.  So I'm trying to remind myself to soak all of this up while I can.  Okay, I STILL can't imagine why anyone would think that Will won't want to hang out with ME.  Seriously?!?!  

Okay, okay, Brian - get to the point.  The point is that sometimes I take the people around me for granted.  I'm too busy with my cell phone in my face, or watching TV, or just not being attentive or paying attention.  I want to do better.  Every day with Will teaches me something different.  

Have a great day, and don't forget to play!  

1 comment:

  1. enjoy every minute of it...but as of 16 and 21 both of my kids still hang out with me...just not as long or as often as I would like my boys too. At any rate...eat it up now!!

    ReplyDelete