Thursday, June 27, 2013

Love and Marriage

I don't normally discuss hot-button topics on this blog, but in this case, I'm going to make an exception.  All of the talk about same-sex marriage, DOMA, SCOTUS and their decision, etc has been pretty much everywhere you look.  There are strong opinions on every end of the spectrum.  In listening to it all, I've come to my own conclusions about the issue.  I'd love to hear from you, my two readers, as well.  Regardless of whether we agree or disagree, I respect everyone's opinion on the subject.  It's just that I think discussion is a good thing.  So here goes. Some of you may not agree with what I have to say.  I'm okay with that.  But let me hear, in a constructive and respectful manner, why you feel the way you do about this topic.  

The bottom line is I'm for same-sex marriage.  I do not see why two people who love each other, regardless of sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political persuasion, race or any other category cannot be afforded the same rights as others.  I keep hearing the term 'the institution of marriage', and the quote from the one gentleman who deemed it an 'inherent evil'.  Really?  I'm a God following guy and I have a relationship with Jesus Christ.  I'm aware of what the Bible says on this topic.  But I have a hard time believing that the God that I know and love would hate love in any form.  Heterosexual marriages aren't exactly thriving these days.  The definition of family has changed so much, and for the better I think.  The church I belong to has so many adoptive families, with parents and children of different ethnicities, and it is simply a beautiful thing.  So why then, can't a gay couple who truly love each other, raise children in a healthy environment like any other family?  And why can't they be afforded the same rights as anyone else in the same situation?  I have friends who are gay and live together, and when I am with them, I can see how much they love each other.  I can see how devoted they are too each other. I just don't get how that can be wrong.  


In a world full of so many bigger, more important issues, why does this one always come to the forefront?  Is someone else being gay and married hurting anyone?  Is it having a negative impact on heterosexual marriages?  I just don't think it is.  Isn't life hard enough to get through without having to feel like an outcast because of your sexual orientation?  There is so much hate in this world, and I think that much of it comes from a lack of knowledge.  Often we hate because we are afraid of or uncomfortable with something.  God commands us to love one another as we love ourselves.  Or did I misread that one?  

I want to hear from you on this.  I don't care which side of the discussion you fall on, I want to hear it.  We live our lives so afraid of offending people, but in instances such as this one, discussing it seems to be the only way to take it on.  Let's open our minds and be respectful of one another, and celebrate each other.  Okay, dear readers, let me have it.  Whether you comment on this blog, on my facebook page, email me, however you are most comfortable.  I hope to hear from you.  

In the words of Lenny Kravitz, 'We've got to let love rule!".  I want my son to live in a world where love rules.  I hope you have a wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment