Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Obstacles

An obstacle is defined by Merriam Webster as something that impedes progress or achievement.  We all encounter them.  Physical obstacles, emotional obstacles, metaphorical obstacles and literal obstacles.  It's a part of life.  How we choose to handle them is the key.  Some see obstacles as negative things.  Many times yours truly sees them that way.  But when we choose to see them as catalysts instead, they can motivate us and drive us to overcome them. 

If you'll remember, I mentioned in a recent post that I signed up for the 2013 Chicago Marathon. This will be my first marathon since 2009.  I usually stick to an 18-week training schedule, but have been doing some light running for the past few weeks.  In the process, I have encountered one of those obstacles.  This particular one is called patella femoral syndrome, also known as 'runner's knee'.  I'm usually good for about 2 miles, and then at that point I start to feel some pain and instability in the left knee like it is going to give out.  I went 12 days between runs this last time, and last night's run was no different.  I go for physical therapy starting the 12th of this month, but that is about 3 days after my training schedule starts.  I'm pretty sure the 'physical therapy' will amount to some stretches and quad strengthening exercises, so I'm doing some research and getting started early.  Right now, I don't know if my body is going to hold up for me to ramp up the mileage and do a marathon.  But I'm going to keep pushing.  Having done them before helps somewhat.  Now I've just got my work cut out for me.  I can do this.  

What obstacles are you facing today?  

1 comment:

  1. sometimes Brian the obstacles arent physical. I am struggling with the obstacle of loosing my mom, my last remaining parent and all of the"drama" that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete