Monday, September 23, 2013

42


A simple number, it can mean different things to different people.  It's often associated with one of the greatest baseball players and greatest human beings to ever walk the earth - Jackie Robinson.  But for me, it's much simpler than that.  It is my age.  I turned 42 years old yesterday.15,330 days I've been on this earth.   I have to confess that part of me was dreading it.  For the past year, I started to feel my age.  I think this is honestly the first time in my life where I could say "oh, it's just a number!" and not believe it to be true.  But these last few days reminded me how truly blessed I am and it once again became a number I could truly embrace. 

Friday morning I went to work and discovered upon entering that my cubicle had been decorated with 'Happy Birthday' signs and banners.  What a great way to start the day.  There were also gift bags and envelopes with birthday cards in them.  My coworkers and I ordered lunch and ate together in my honor.  I am blessed to work with the people that I work with on a daily basis.  

Saturday morning started bright and early at 5am as I did my 20 mile training run for the Chicago Marathon.  Up to that point, I'd been having nothing but trouble with running and my knees had been giving me fits.  But Saturday my knees were pain-free and I experienced only the type of pain that I was so used to from a long run - the good pain if there is such a thing.  I finished it and felt like I could have kept on going if I needed to push it to that point.  So I feel like I'm ready.  October 13th is the marathon and for the first time in the training process for this one I feel like I'm on top of it.  I'm excited about it.  

As soon as I got home and got cleaned up, we it was off to the  Discovering the Dinosaurs at the Fairgrounds.  Will loved it.  He got to see replicas of dinosaurs, push buttons to make them move, play mini golf, bounce in a bounce house and go down a slide, bounce in another bounce house, and learn some things about dinosaurs.  It was a pretty cool experience and he had a blast.  It was pricey, but worth it to see the smile on his face.  

Sunday Leigh took me to a movie and out to lunch for my birthday.  It capped off the weekend perfectly.  Leigh and I do not go on dates often enough and it was nice to have some time to just talk about anything and focus on just each other.  

Was the weekend perfect?  No.  Was it without its battles with the toddler way of thinking :)?  Absolutely not.  But am I blessed beyond belief to be around so many wonderful people in my life?  Absolutely, positively, unequivocally yes!  

I have come to realize that the number of years I've lived are more full of good memories and good times than anything else, and that the road ahead cannot be taken for granted.  I may be considered a pretty sappy guy.  But life is short.  It can be gone in the blink of an eye.  Tell those around you that you love them and care about them.  Tell them every chance you get.  More importantly, SHOW them.  Also, don't allow stubborn pride to prevent you from admitting when you've made a mistake, or from offering an apology or asking for forgiveness.  Do not wait.  Do it now.  Do it today.    

If I am guilty of one thing with my son it is that I probably tell him I love him too often.  They are never just words, though.  They are packed full of more meaning than he may ever know each time they pass through my lips.  

To anyone reading this, whether I know you or not, I appreciate you and care about you.  I would love to hear from you and talk to  you and get to know you.  Many of you are Facebook friends of mine - to all of you, I really do care about you.  All of you have touched my lives in some way at some point, and though I may not have seen you or talked to you in a long time, I do care about each of you.  Heck yes I'm sappy.  Too often I think we go through life not being real, not telling people how we really feel about them, not telling them we're hurting or feeling alone or having a bad day or having a bad week or a bad month or a bad year.  We try to convince everyone we are fine when the truth is we are all hurting or struggling or trying to find our way.  We all need each other.  

My life is so blessed.  Thank you for being a part of it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment