Monday, October 21, 2013

How Are You Doing?

When you ask someone how they are doing, what would you say the percentage of positive responses you receive are?  By positive, I mean real positive responses.  Not 'fine', 'good', 'okay', etc.  How often when someone asks us how we are doing are we prone to tell them about the many blessings in our lives?  For yours truly, not very many.  I tend to go with the standard canned responses.  Of course, my mind usually asks the question 'Do you really want to know how I'm doing?' when I'm asked the question.  

Okay, Brian - clearly you are rambling.  What is your point?  Well let me tell you.  The point is, I am challenging myself to go through each day being aware and thankful for the many, many blessings I have in this life.  So often I focus on the negative, the things I don't have or the things that aren't going the way that I would prefer that they go.  But the truth is, there are so many blessings in my life that I cannot possibly list them.  Or can I?  

I present to you, my list of blessings, in no particular order.  

God, His Son Jesus Christ, Grace, Forgiveness of Sins, Eternal life.
God's word - The Bible, and the ability to read it any time I choose to.
Leigh - my beautiful bride.
Will - my amazing son.
Hershey - our cat.  The old man is still kicking, and we are blessed to have him.  We miss Smudgie every day.  
My parents - Mom and Dad, I don't know where I'd be without you.  Even now you are a calming, guiding influence in my life.
Kathleen - my dear sister - I learn more from you and am so very proud of you and all you have accomplished in your life.  You are such a blessing.  
Henry - my nephew - little ball or energy, laughter, and fire ball blasts!!!!  I love you buddy.
Family - aunts, uncles, cousins, distant relations - all are a blessing and I wish I could spend more time with all of you.
My in-laws - Don and Bonnie - God could not have blessed me with a better 'second' family.  Every day I know you warms my heart and makes me thank God for you both.  I consider you  and everyone in your family to be my own family and I am just so thankful that God put you all in my life.  I don't say it often enough, but I love you guys more than I can express.  
Friends - you all know who you are.  Some I know better than others, or have known longer than others.  But I cherish each one of you and the wisdom you bring into my life each day.  My prayer is that we get the chance to grow those friendships even more in the future.  
My church family - too many people to possibly name, but each and every one of you from the current pastor Brad Ferris to the former pastor David Upchurch, to the youth groups current and past, to all of the staff who have been there and the staff who still are - each of you is a branch on my Christian family tree.  I am so thankful and blessed by that.
My health - at 42 years old, I'm still able to 'run' 26.2 miles.  
My job - I don't say it often enough, but it is a real blessing.  I am grateful to have it.  And my work family is another blessing.  I'm trying to remember that everyone I come into contact with brings the potential for another relationship, and that we're all struggling and trying to get through each day.
Our home - I complain sometimes about the various little things wrong with it, but it's our home.  We are making so many memories there.  I pray it's full of good memories for Leigh and Will as much as it is for me.  
Neighbors - we have been blessed to live in a neighborhood full of great neighbors.  And Will has so many kids to play with.  If any of our neighbors are reading this, know that you are a blessing in our lives.
Country - as often as people complain about politics and the President, etc, etc, we are truly blessed and privileged to live in a country with such great freedoms.  God bless America!  And God also bless all of the other great countries around the world and the diversity that we have on this planet.  
Technology - so many things can be accomplished through the wonder of technology these days.  It is an amazing thing and such a blessing when used for the right purpose.  

I feel like I could continue, and should continue, but my fingers hurt from typing so much and I am exhausted.  I would love to hear from you about some of the blessings in your life.  Feel free to share them in the comments of this blog, or on my Facebook page, or shoot me an email and let me know all about them.  I am willing to bet we can come up with more blessings in our lives than bad things.  

Have a GREAT day!!!!!

  





No comments:

Post a Comment