Friday, December 13, 2013

Transparency

When I started this blog, I didn't really know what I wanted it to be about.  I just knew that I wanted to somehow use it as a vehicle to reaching people and possibly helping them along the way in their journey.  I'm honestly not certain whether I've accomplished either of those things or not, but I am fairly confident at this stage that my reading audience has grown from two of you to three of you.  So for that, I am thankful.  

But seriously, one of my main goals in this is to be real - transparent if you will.  Some definitions of transparent are "free from pretense or deceit" and "honest and open; not secretive".  I've opened up about some things that I struggle with, and if you ever want to ask me about any of them via email, Facebook, or just walk up to me and talk to me about them, I'm very happy to sit down and talk with you about whatever it is.  

You see, on my own, I am broken.  But with God, I am saved by His grace.  On my own, I'm never going to be good enough.  But with God, I am always loved beyond measure.  The words of the song 'Brokenness Aside' really resonate with me.  

"Will Your grace run out
 If I let You down
 'Cause all I know
 Is how to run

 'Cause I am a sinner
 If it's not one thing it's another
 Caught up in words
 Tangled in lies
 You are the Savior
 And you take brokenness aside
And make it beautiful
Beautiful."

I used to spend so much time trying to always do 'the right thing'.  As though I could earn my way into God's good graces.  Well, to do such a thing is to ignore the truth of God's word.  Ephesians 2:8 tells us "For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith -- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--".  I had it backwards.  I had been trying to earn my way into heaven through good works.  But what I should have been doing was good works because studying God's word and having a relationship with Him will make you love Him so much there is simply no other way you'll want to live your life.  Faith without works is dead.  Does that mean I won't fail?  Absolutely not.  Every day I struggle to love people around me like Jesus loves me. Or to be a better husband to my bride or a better Daddy to that little boy of mine.  Some days I struggle with a temper.  Others I struggle with anxiety and depression.  If I am going to be absolutely truthful with all of you, I am a mess.  That's as transparent as it gets.  

But God takes me where I am at and loves me just the same.  When I'm angry, God loves me.  When I'm depressed, God loves me.  When I'm being a goofball with Will, God loves me.  He loves me for me.  Given the chance, I truly believe other people will do the same.  Everyone struggles with something.  Everyone deals with insecurities and hard times.  But we are the church - His hands and feet.  We have to stick together and work together as His body.  Doesn't all of that start with being authentic with one another, and with God?  

No comments:

Post a Comment