Friday, February 7, 2014

My Other Half

Some people hear the term 'my other half' and don't quite understand the meaning behind it.  It's almost used as a derogatory term in some cases.  But today, I want to tell you what it means to me.  

I met my wife, Leigh, nearly twenty-four years ago.  This year will mark our FIFTEENTH wedding anniversary.  No one on this earth knows me better.  She has seen me at my absolute best, and helped hold me up when I was at my absolute worst.  We have run marathons together, seen flying fish, gone to various parts of the world, owned two homes, two cats, and have a beautiful son together.  We have gone through extreme heartbreak together.  We have experienced pure and utter joy together as well.  There have been trials, and there have been celebrations.  We've fought and argued.  We've enjoyed each other immensely.  I'm 42 years old, and one thing is certain for me.  I do not know what I would do without her.  She is my rock.  She is my constant (yes, it's a Lost reference if you're familiar with the show at all).  She is the glue that holds our family together.  And she does it all without a hint of complaint.  God has blessed me with an amazing woman. 

Leigh's birthday is Wednesday February 12th.  Yes, Abraham Lincoln tried to steal her thunder - can you believe it? I cannot reveal her age as I'd like to live to see tomorrow.  But won't you join me in telling her how amazing she is and wishing her a happy birthday?  Hit her up on facebook, shoot her a text if you have her phone number.  Let her know how awesome she is.  

I know the title of this blog is 'Love Being A Daddy', and I absolutely do.  But I also love being a husband and a partner to Leigh.  I don't tell her that nearly enough.  I don't make her feel appreciated nearly enough, either.  

She cooks, cleans, does laundry, folds laundry, washes dishes, grocery shops, pays bills and lives with me.  That last one is a tough one.  Did I mention she's amazing? But those are just some of the things she does.  Those do not define who she is.  She is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet.  She has a heart of absolute gold.  She has a great laugh, loves to read, enjoys knitting, is a wonderful mother, and the greatest wife a guy could ever ask for.  She puts up with me for crying out loud!!!  Can any of you that know me imagine what it would be like to live with me every day, 24/7/365?  She does that!  I know, right?!?!  

To me, the term 'my other half' is just that.  If she wasn't there, part of me would die.  When I have something good happen to me, I want to tell her about it.  When something awful happens, I immediately talk to her about it.  When Will does something or says something that I want to remember, I text her or call her to share it with her because I know it will warm her heart as much as it does mine.  

When I got married, I really didn't quite know what it would be like.  I only knew that I wanted to spend my life with Leigh.  It hasn't always been easy, and it has been far from perfect.  But it's ours and I love it.  I couldn't have possibly predicted the wild ride it would be, but she's stuck by me through it all.  And I can't wait to see what the next part of the journey is like with her riding along side me.  

I love you sweetie.  This one's for you.  Happy early birthday! 





1 comment: