Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Walk With Me, Daddy

I think I have shared this before, but it is worth posting it again.

Walk With Me Daddy
Walk alongside me, Daddy
and hold my little hand
I have so many things to learn
that I don't yet understand

Teach me things to keep me safe
from dangers every day.
Show me how to do my best
at home, at school, at play.

Every child needs a gentle hand
to guide them as they grow.
So walk alongside me, Daddy.
We have a long way to go.  

Every day I have to remind myself that Will is just 4 years old.  Every day he is learning new things, testing boundaries, and trying to make his way in this crazy world.  He is so curious about everything, and asks many, many questions.  His mind is always going, and he really soaks everything up.  I'm quite certain that his memory is better than mine.  

Sometimes my tendency when he disobeys or ignores me is to raise my voice.  I hate that tendency in myself.  I want to be the gentle hand that the poem above talks about.  Guiding, showing, leading - not controlling.  This is an especially hard one for me lately, as we are both learning.  I often tell him that even though I am 42 years old, I still have much to learn.  I know you'll find this hard to believe, but sometimes I am wrong.  When I am, I want to be the kind of Daddy who can admit it.  

Each night when I get off of work, I zip home looking forward to seeing Will.  I walk in the door and he is almost always right there with a smile on his face and a hug or something to tell me.  I can't wait to see him tonight, tell him I love him, and hear about all of the thoughts and questions swirling around in his mind.  I remember what it was like to want to be a Daddy so very badly.  There were many, many days when I did not think it would happen.  I have to remind myself constantly of that, and not take for granted the gift I have been given in Will.  And he is such a precious gift to all of us.  

I love you, little man.  


No comments:

Post a Comment